Well, Tyson finally got tubes put into his ears. He had his surgery on Wednesday. We had to be at the surgical center at 6:30 in the morning, so we had to leave the house at 5:30. Luckily he slept most of the way in.
Once we got there, he was so interested in everything around him that he actually enjoyed playing around. There were several other babies there for the same surgery so they had fun playing together and pushing the IV carts around and flirting with the nurses.
Dr. Gonzalez and Dr. Isaachof came in and talked to me about the anesthesia and the procedure and then the nurse took Tyson away. I was fine until then but when he started screaming and reaching for me I just lost it.
They sent me to a room with a bunch of other emotional mothers and we waited for our babies to be brought out. The actual procedure isn't very long so in about 15 minutes they brought him out to me.
The sad thing is that he wasn't quite awake. He was awake enough to be screaming, but not awake enough to know it was me that was holding him and he just cried and cried. I could still see the marks of the gas mask on his face and the drainage from his ears and he was just so pitiful.
Dr. Gonzalez said that his ears were so infected and so full of fluid that as soon as he made the incision in the ear drum the infection came gushing out. I'm glad it's out now...he started hearing us when we talk to him and should start picking up some words. The best part is that he shouldn't get any more ear infections. YAY!
Tyson slept all the way home and when we got home he could finally eat and drink. After breakfast, he laid on my shoulder for a while or let Kevin hold him and then by lunch he was playing like that morning had never happened. I wish I could bounce back like that.
So, he's improving each day and each day the drainage gets less and less which is nice because it's kinda gross. :(
I took him in to Dr. Mike today for his well check and an ear check -- he got a clean bill of health and 3 shots. He was really scared of Dr. Mike which is unusual for him...but with the experience of Wednesday I can see it.
I'm just glad it's over with and I'm really glad that I don't have to put any more of my kids through that again.
Friday, March 14, 2008
Tubes
Posted by Crazy Petersens at 4:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment